Columbia Valley Legal Technician Services, PLLC | Family Law Legal Services in Washington State | FAQ
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-15560,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-10.0,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12,vc_responsive


Washington is the only state in the country to offer an affordable legal advice and service delivery option to help meet the needs of those unable to afford the services of an attorney in family law matters –

divorce, custody, and support.

Services in divorce, custody, support, and other family law matters.

Legal advising

Advise clients on their rights, strategy, and procedure


Document Preparation

Prepare, file, and serve documents for clients



Prepare a client to represent themselves in court proceedings

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can Legal Technicians file papers in Court for my family law case?

A. Yes. Legal Technicians can draft, file, and serve Washington state’s pattern family law forms in most all family law case types.

Q: Can Legal Technicians represent me at my hearing?

A: No, at this time, only an attorney, or the client him- or herself, can speak at the hearing. Our scope is regularly being expanded, so check back for updates on this. As your Legal Technician I can help prepare you for your hearing, provide notes and other documents, and observe.

Q: How rigorous is the preparation for the Legal Technician license?

A: Legal Technicians are required to have at least an Associate’s Degree with specific core coursework, extended family law courses, 3,000 hours of substantive work experience, and pass licensing exams in ethics and substantive law.

For more information on Legal Technicians, contact the Washington State Bar Association here under the “For the public” tab.